The internationally distributed brand U.S. Polo Assn. will once more support tournament polo in the Middle East, this time as the official apparel sponsor for the 2017 high-goal Julius Baer Gold Cup (Dubai Open), outfitting teams, officials and staff with jerseys and showcasing product during the event. Competition starts Feb. 18 and continues through the final match, Friday, March 10, at the Al Habtoor Polo Resort and Club in Dubai, an elegant multi-discipline equestrian community.
Not to leave out the loyal spectators at the games, a merchandise tent will make it easy for both fashionistas and fans to bring home a piece of the sport. U.S. Polo Assn. branding features the popular Double Horsemen mark of two mounted players battling over the ball at full speed. For reliving the excitement or to catch it for the first time from home, Eurosport will broadcast the final match March 20, 2017. The successful American retailer's stores in Dubai and Abu Dhabi are promoting attendance to this invitation-only polo and social event with a sweepstakes for tickets, T-shirt giveaways and social media coverage of the festive events as they unfold.
"With 52 stores in the region, we knew we had a great chance to connect the history of our sport and its official brand, here where polo and horses are so well loved," said David Cummings, CEO/president of the brand's managing entity, USPA Global Licensing Inc., a subsidiary of the United States Polo Association. A former polo player, Cummings added, "After sponsoring polo tournaments in Istanbul and New York's Central Park, the response was so rewarding we've been looking for something similar, and we've found it in Dubai."
2010: Dubai Polo Gold Cup Series, founded by Mohammed Al Habtoor, is established as a
10-Goal Handicap tournament.
2012: Recognized by the World Polo Tour (WPT).
2014: WPT upgrades the Series to the highest tournament in terms of points within the
'Challenge Cup' category. (50 points)
2015: WPT upgrades the tournament from 'Challenge Cup' to highly-coveted 'WPT Cup'.
• Held under the patronage of His Highness Sheikh Maktoum bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al
• Played under Hurlingham Polo Association rules.
• Held for the first time at its new home ground, the state-of-the-art Al Habtoor Polo Resort & Club.
• The event attracts some of the best polo players in the world.
• The 18 Goal Handicap competition is now the highest handicapped event in the Middle East,
Africa and Asia, ranking among the best polo tournaments in the world.
• The Dubai Polo Gold Cup Series 2017 brings 66 days of polo action.
• The competition has drawn in more than 5,000 visitors since inception.
Five cups registered under the Dubai Polo Gold Cup Series 2017:
• The McLaren Cup (18 Goal Handicap) 21 January - 3 February 2017
• The Polo Masters Cup (14 Goal Handicap) 7-14 February 2017
• The Julius Baer Gold Cup: Dubai Open (18 Goal Handicap) 18 February - 10 March 2017
• The Dubai Challenge Cup (18 Goal Handicap) 17-31 March 2017
• The Dubai Cup (8-10 Goal Handicap) 7-14 April 2017